The Jazz Soul of Oscar Peterson: Perfect Music and Cover Art

I just love this record. I find myself staring at the cover while I listen; the visuals aligning with the sonics.

So many of the Verve and Blue Note covers from that era align so perfectly with the music.

My friend, the brilliant musician/composer, Mark Isham, talks frequently about how Miles Davis (particularly with Bitches Brew) unified his visuals and music. He’s right, of course.

I’m curious what cover art you feel resonates with the music. Leave me some thoughts in the comments if you get a moment.

Tags: , ,

1. homesicklibrarian’s avatar

i love stanley donwood's radiohead art, especially kid A mountains – could spend hours getting lost in those while listening to 'how to disappear completely'

2. George Howard’s avatar

Totally agree. Complete unification of music and visual elements.

Thanks,

George

3. Sunnie1sotrue’s avatar

There is something about the cover on Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters album that grabs the eyes just like the music blasts into the core of the middle of one's chest and throbs there throughout the whole album. The colors, the symbolic “witch doctor” look of the main character is a clue that what is going to happen to your ears will bewitch you in an unexplainable way. Pure magic from the pounding heart start of Vein Melter when you feel the music pumped from your heart and melt through every vein in your body to the enchanting calls of Watermelon Man. Each track is as electrifying as the cover. I love it – the picture, the music, and the pounding pulse of every note that resonates with the beat of my soul. It all combines into the sound of color and the color of sound.

4. George Howard’s avatar

Oh, this is fantastic. Thank you. Makes me want to listen to the record
    right now. Think I will.

Thanks,

George

5. marycigarettes’s avatar

david bowie understood this well….imagine how different ziggy stardust or aladdin sane would have sounded if they'd been wrapped in bog standard rock n roll cover art……in his case those album sleeves very much effected the way my ears perceived those records….the cover art can infact direct the ear….and yes…bitches brew is a great example …….style is the window through which we can reach the substance of things.

6. George Howard’s avatar

Awesome comment, thanks. Bowie is a great example.