Why I bought Pandora One

I twizzizzled out the other day that I had bought Pandora one:

I’ve gotten a lot of questions as to what I like/don’t like/why I took the plunge and bought etc.

As I can’t – sadly – sum it up in 140 characters, here’s my rationale:

1. I was never that keen on Pandora – seemed like a novelty, and not deep enough for someone with as varied and erudite taste in music as mine (I keed, I keed). However, I found that by adding songs to the stations I created (rather than using artists alone to define the station’s parameters) it vastly broadened the spectrum.

2. The iPhone app, when combined with a direct connection into my car, makes for excellent “radio.” (As does the Wolfgang’s Vault iPhone app, by the way).

3. The integration into Boxee, made it accessible via my AppleTV.

4. The integration into my blu-ray DVD player made it accessible that way.

5. the release of the Squeezebox Boom
made it easy enough for my wife to use.

6. The Adobe Air powered “One” Service is REALLY nice. between the “growl“-like floating alerts, and the simple clean interface – it “just works.”

7. The price falls – in economic terms – into the category of “the importance of being unimportant.” While it’s nice not to have the ads, and the hour time out, I wouldn’t have paid for this if the price had been north of $50. At $36, that’s not even a crappy bottle of wine. For $50 I can get a decent bottle of wine.

So, as you can see from above, the main things that caused me to pull the trigger were the depth of music, and the integration into other things into my life.

This is an important point, and one I’ll blog about in more detail soon (I know, everyone’s on the edge of their Che’s Lounge).

Basically, what seems to be eluding people – be they those who produce musical content, film content, newspaper content, book content, or – really any other kind of content – is that the issue you have to contend with isn’t a content issue (of course, you’re content must be awesome or why bother – but everyone thinks their content is awesome), it’s a distribution issue.

The labels were the first to not learn this; had they more rapidly embraced new means of getting their content from creator/content holder to content user, life would have been much more bearable for them. Same deal, of course, for TV, movies, newspapers, etc.

Guess who’s next? Education. If colleges, etc. don’t start understanding that while they may very well be great content sources, if they need to grasp that those who will use their content don’t want to get it the same way Plutarch got his content, they’re cooked.

In any case, Pandora – via its myriad integration techniques – allows for the seamless distribution of its content into my life. That’s ultimately why I bought.

Some images of my Pandora One in action:

Now, what I want: The ability to link my Stitcher podcasts into Pandora. If I could do this, and have a news/Onion podcast come up every hour or so on Pandora…well, goodbye terr radio.

Tags: , , , ,

1. BradenP’s avatar

It'll be interesting to see if and how Universities embrace new means of getting content to students. It feels like they have a lot more power than the major record companies (so maybe they can get away with essentially, not adapting…at least for awhile), but then again, I might not have been saying that 10 years ago.

2. Samsonite Luggage’s avatar

do i need anything more then a pandora battery? if so what are the steps needed to put custom firmware onto it. thanks in advance

3. Studio photography’s avatar

Norwich Photographer covering Commercial, Studio and Advertising Photography.

4. Studio photography’s avatar

Use the program below to create a Pandora memory stick. You will need to download the 401.pbp eboot (available on the same size) as well as any other types of firmware you want to use with Pandora.

5. Pellet durability tester’s avatar

I have two batteries and I converted one of them my problem is how do I convert it to a normal battery because if I inserted the converted one it turns on the power indicator but has no picture on the screen.

6. pandora_schmuck’s avatar

What Samsonite Luggage asked … anyondy?

7. themusicvoid’s avatar

“Exclusive: Pirate Bay 2.0″ – The Next Thing People Will Happily Pay For. Read more at:

8. free online bingo’s avatar

i tried pandora already. for me pandora is good..

9. Gadget_Blog’s avatar

Great post.. this is really a great information..This will be useful post.. I will

comeback for more..

Cheers,
    gadgettechblog.com

10. traditional area rugs’s avatar

I've tried pandora and it works well..

11. Club Penguin Cheats’s avatar

It feels like they have a lot more power than the major record companies so maybe they can get away with essentially, not adapting…at least for a while….

12. create a resume’s avatar

sooner or later radio will phase out, DJ's will be looking for a new job because of these kinds of inventions.

13. Musk11’s avatar

Pandora iPhone is worth buying. The voice quality is very good. It has given a tough competition to radio system. It is compact also.

14. Maky57’s avatar

Pandora is the best. It has proved very beneficial to my business.

15. Kids Games’s avatar

I use Pandora occasionally but definitely not enough to pay for a subscription. Nice try Pandora.

16. concrete garages’s avatar

The Pandora One desktop app will run on Linux. We've successful had it running on KDE4.1/AMD64 Linux as well as Debian unstable and Ubuntu 9.04. Because of all of the flavors of Linux out there it's not something we formally support, but I can personally tell you that in many cases it will work.

Sounds on the other hand like we're really letting you down on your 60's stations. You certainly shouldn't have to “suffer through” modern crap on a station you want to play 60's music. We'll keep working on the playlist algorithm; that's what we do. We are the first to admit though that we don't always get it right today.

The last thing we want to do is to make you suffer… the ad supported free version of Pandora will always be the way 95% or more of our listeners experience Pandora and we want that experience to be the very best it can possibly be. The trick with skipping is that we pay licensing royalties for each and every song we play. Even if we play just one second of the song, we play the full royalty. That means that the very small minority of our listeners that skip more than twelve times a day (and it's a tiny, tiny percentage) drive our royalty rates up and up. Sadly we just can't serve enough ads in that scenario to make the ad supported free model work. So, for the small group that wants unlimited daily skips we ask that you subscribe. We hope that's a fair value exchange. Our only goal in this is to ensure that we can afford to keep available in all it's forms for years to come.
    Thanks

17. Band Merchandise’s avatar

I am going to use Pandora. it will be a new experience for me. i guess

18. meenakshig57’s avatar

This is so good & useful. find it very interesting.

19. mexico cruise deals’s avatar

To be fair, it works well for what it does

20. Augusta hotels’s avatar

21. Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes’s avatar

22. Watch Movies Online’s avatar

23. Face Paint’s avatar

Well i believe that If colleges, etc. don’t start understanding that while they may very well be great content sources, if they need to grasp that those who will use their content don’t want to get it the same way Plutarch got his content, they’re cooked.

24. Judy’s avatar

Is there any way to NOT get live recordings with Pandora One? They sure do program in lots of live music, which I do not like.