Coin a phrase: The Straddle

This is a thought in progress, but it’s coming together. At the very least, as with blogtailing, I think I’ve coined a phrase. Here goes.

Marketing today is a straddle between the online world and the offline world. Only those who do the straddle right will survive. Err too far online, you fail. Too fair offline, you fail. What I think justifies this post’s existence is that no one (that I’m aware of) is really (yet) talking about the straddle.

Doesn’t mean people aren’t doing it.

For instance, I’ve blogged frequently about how artists like REM are leveraging the tech by using wonderfully articulated social media marketing strategies to allow their constituents to engage in participatory marketing. However, I didn’t emphasize enough in these posts that it was the straddle that really allows REM to leverage the tech. That is, it’s their interplay between their offline world (touring) and their online world that allows them to be successful.

Similarly, another person I’ve written about frequently who is doing the straddle well is Wine Library TV’s Gary Vaynerchuk. Certainly his use of tech is about as good as it gets, but what makes it work is his commitment to offline activities (wine tastings, appearances, etc.). It is wine that he’s talking about, for goodness sakes; you sort of have to have an offline presence.

Another example: I believe that the reason Facebook is just crushing MySpace (random sample of the hundred or so students I teach: Q. How many use Myspace? A: None; Q. How many use Facebook? A: All) is because Facebook helps them do the straddle (sounds like a dance); while MySpace is a closed online only experience.

Think about it: Facebook works because it allows you to enhance and augment your offline experiences. You post photos of things you do with your friends; you write on each others’ walls regarding offline experiences.

MySpace is more of (and I use this word in the loosest possible manner) a portfolio (or, what I really believe it’s become, for bands at least: a demo). MySpace has nothing to do with your offline life; it’s only related to your online life, and, thus, falls short.

Musicians and others too often feel that the new tech allows them to forgo what is really important: building real connections via playing live. I.e. they emphasize the online and forget about the offline. It makes sense. These online tools are so easy, and they give the illusion of progress and (sometimes) accomplishment. However, this indeed is illusory. Without leveraging whatever you, perhaps, built online in order to grow your offline presence (and vice versa), you will fail.

This holds true across the board. Businesses, authors…whomever…must do the straddle. If you’re a real estate agent, why would you not be tweeting up a storm, Facebook-ing up a storm, blogging up a storm, so that when you have an open-house for one of your listings you can connect with your online constituency in an offline manner. If you’re a restaurant who isn’t tweeting out your specials (and I don’t know ONE restaurant who is), and even perhaps creating events/menus for your online peeps so that you can then have the offline experience with them, it seems to me you’re missing something.

I want more than anything to have some 9GS offline experiences with those who read the blog/follow my tweets. Sadly, so far the only thing I can currently come up with is to tweet out to those who follow me to come over to the house and shoot pool and drink tequila with me. This would, of course, result in me being fired and divorced, so I will keep thinking.

The rest of you, I look forward to your straddles.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Marie-The Snake Charmers’s avatar

I have connected in a lot of different ways offline with people through an online presence. And no, none was a love connection, although if my marital status altered, I would go that route too.

The problem I have run into as a musician is getting that offline presence. It’s increasing difficult to book live performances. In the past 18 months, 5 times our band has been either the last band to play or cancelled from club dates.

It’s not easy to get people offline and into live music venues. There is a definite decline in local music venue attendance for certain population subsets. How to get people off the computers and out the door for a 20-30 minute drive? That’s one of the dilemmas.

2. RyanMoede’s avatar

Kudos on a thoughtful post. Social media is certainly at its best when it is fostering real-world relationships. And brands that use social media well are often playing the role of facilitator – bring people together through online and offline experiences (eg Nike Plus).

3. gah650’s avatar

Right on, thanks! Great point about Nike Plus.

George

4. seotest’s avatar

thanks for sharing me those nice thought of you

5. Braden Piper’s avatar

I will gladly share the offline experience of shooting pool and drinking tequila at your house, Howard. If you think of something more fun, let me know.

6. london rentals’s avatar

Hi… that was great stuff.. I really like reading on this subject Could you tell me more on that… I love to explore

7. home loan’s avatar

In a traditional sublease scenario the current tenant (sublessor) is leaving space behind that may be old and dated………..

8. Best SEO Package’s avatar

Great article, I really enjoyed reading your brilliant insights over things.. we all know that social media marketing is one of the most powerful strategies today that can drive traffic and also sales to our website.. you really hit the spot over the area of web 2.0

9. Preston Ely’s avatar

I agree with you . You got to be connected with both world.

10. Miami SEO’s avatar

if you want to gain traffic for your website learning some strategies and tactics about web 2.0 is the best solution for it,, using social media sites is a good idea too

11. kitchenware’s avatar

those are great tips.. thanks for sharing it.. well tweeter have been a helpful tool nowadays, in business

12. chiropractic training’s avatar

13. carlalynnehall’s avatar

Hi George!

When I recently participated in the Artists House live chat, John Snyder and Andrew Goodrich mentioned your concept of “The Straddle”, which I had to ask about because it sounded so interesting. When they explained it fully, I realized that you're absolutely right!!!! In fact, BRILLIANT!!! I think that “The Straddle” is something that some self-promoters already do, even if they're not conscious about it. It's basically getting out and about to meet the folks you're meeting online.

First things first, you gotta leave the house! Gary Vaynerchuk seems to attend every social media conference known to man, in addition to wine tastings and other events. In plain talk, he's simply networking online AND offline. In a recent interview, Gary recommends that people attend events and conferences within their niche because (I'm paraphrasing) everything happens because of the involvement of other people, and we have to go out and meet them so they know who we are.

In an organization like Artists House, doing the straddle would mean that you, John, and Andrew get out as well, to shake hands and kiss babies at every music conference you can afford to attend. It also means making in-person connections with bands and musicians in New Orleans. Artists House can also offer musician workshops. I've seen the live chats done from your home, and you could probably host musicians there to teach them about creating viral videos, or something else useful. Of course, you could also videotape that workshop and sell it later as a DVD, but that's another blog post! 😉

As Andrew has been in the Twitter trenches (working hard to attract over 10K followers for @ArtistsHouse), I also suggest that he step forward a bit more as the “Milennnial Generation” face of Artists House. When there are local music seminars and/or performances in NOLA, put Andrew to use and send him out to those late night shows. Both you and John Snyder also have your particular tribes, and events that you attend, so those are ways that you're already straddling.

And remember that you can also create low key events for people to meet up too. For example, I'm organizing a bowling tweet up later this month at a local bowling alley that celebrates “Twitter Tuesdays” and offers discounts for bowlers who twitter. I'll happily tweet about anyone who shows up that night, and they'll probably tweet about me and the bowling alley too.

As you've mentioned, online tools do give the illusion of progress, but ultimately, the people who leave their home to attend your events, visit your trade show booth, and/or offer up their email address are much more engaged, as well as invested in what you have to offer online and off.

So that's my two pennies. Hope it helps!

Carla
    _____________
    Carla Lynne Hall
    Musician & Music Marketing Consultant

14. lean automation’s avatar

Social media sites had been very popular now a days many online entrepreneurs are now using this sites for marketing. You had a point regarding with Nike plus

15. outdoor sinks’s avatar

Now a days this web2.0 technology it includes social media is very popular in the internet it will get more traffic to your website apart from this we can communicate with friends, family and we can share the information around the internet.

For bringing traffic to particular website there lot of strategies are there like social media, social networking, submitting to classifieds website, article submission and many more.

16. nature's sunshine’s avatar

awesome post! i agree with all the things that you said on your blog.. and yes we should also have some offline experiences so we can enjoy life more.

17. nature's sunshine’s avatar

right chiroractic training! driving traffic to websites is now easy as long as you know some search engine optimization..

18. sasas’s avatar

I would like to <a href=” http://www.gogetessays.com“>buy essay writing or the custom written essays about 9GiantSteps. A kind of supreme idea! Thank you for this!

19. miami web designer’s avatar

It all makes sense. The Straddle keenly applies to marketing, and emphasizes on the various elements concerned with its success. Brilliant!

20. Hampers’s avatar

Still nothing can beat the essence of dealing with your customers “personally”. The magic of personal touch is really a big issue if you want to stay in your business no matter the circumstances. Tweeting is already one way of keeping in touch “virtually” but be sure to say the truth and also follow those who followed you.

21. Vitamins ’s avatar

22. williyamb’s avatar

Conveyancing :- Free conveyancing quotes from leading UK conveyancing solicitors

23. williyamb’s avatar

driving traffic to your web nowadays is made more easy as long as you know some tactics and strategies on how to do itConveyancing

24. Conveyancing’s avatar

25. Designer Sunglasses’s avatar

Social media really done great job in the internet.. they really dominate…
    Your not a human when you have no facebook, twitter etc..

26. Herbal Fiberblend’s avatar

How to make people follow my tweets any suggestion? By submitting rss feeds to various blogs i got many readers.

27. vitamin d’s avatar

28. Speicherkarten’s avatar

Driving traffic to your web nowadays is made more easy as long as you know some tactics and strategies on how to do it

29. Jimmyj57’s avatar

Great information about Nike Plus. Its so good to read about this.

30. Zeina349’s avatar

I can very well tell my personal experience of tequila shots. It was mindblowing. Enjoyed a lot.

31. Purple parking voucher codes’s avatar

Get to couple Lot's of entropy. It's a high class article thanks for distribution among all. I was unacknowledged to this thing. Trust to get more aggregation from you looking towards for your next article.

32. Coaching London’s avatar

Fantastic post! A great theory you have there, and well explained. I'm a fan of interesting online strategies, but you are so right that they need strong offline 'backup', i.e. touring / keynote speaking (Gary Vee rocks!) / attending Facebook gatherings, in order to get the maximum from them.
    Look forward to reading more of your work.

33. Auctions’s avatar

I 100% agree with you -as you said offline experience is necessary inorder to enjoy life…these are great tips.. thanks for sharing it..

34. Dating’s avatar

Great information about Nike Plus. Its so good to read about this.Thanks for sharing this …

35. Spyzooka Review’s avatar

Your spot on and you display your comments relevancy with your examples. The real estate example is spot on and shows exactly why you someone needs to straddle both worlds effectively

36. tucson web design’s avatar

What changed things so much is how people are using the web to facilitate social interaction. Social proof has always been one of the most effective marketing angles and the web allows people to share ideas so quickly and easily.

37. Musicvideos1’s avatar

its a very helpful post i have gather some nice technique there. thanks
    Music

38. Musicvideos1’s avatar

so nicely written Creativity in Productivity in Creativity. it also a creativity. Indie

39. Matrimony’s avatar

Thanks, great point and I really like reading this article. Great stuff.Thanks for sharing.

40. Reglan’s avatar

I envisioned myself in some far-off cafe with a group of travelers from distant corners of the world. Without warning, someone in Romania, presumably our host, started repeating “hello, hello, hello” at 4-second intervals which a severe echo.

41. diy solar power’s avatar

I think you've got something there – you are so right and yet traditional companies are still being a bit slow to 'straddle' both worlds – in a recession there is a chance to really use web 2.0 to leverage and compliment their offline business – v interesting post!

42. Tibet Travel’s avatar

Nice post and oh so true. Remember my army days when I was based In Heidelberg. Great time there..