Eric Stone created the following list of qualities to avoid paying too much attention to when assessing artists when you’re considering managing them (obviously items 4 thru 8 are things you DO want to pay attention to, but you get Eric’s point):
Qualities to avoid paying too much attention to:
1. Myspace friend count
2. Plays on myspace
3. Groups the act opened for three years prior
4. Constant membership changes
5. Lack of willingness/ability to take care of matters themselves (i.e.: I can only focus on making music, no booking shows for me!)
6. Lack of strategy
7. No intention of creating a strategy
8. A strategy that is TOO defined, and an unwillingness to deviate.
Too good not to share.